Follow Us

Menu
Log in


North beach Community association

Log in

News

  • Thursday, March 28, 2024 9:28 PM | Anonymous


    The US Army Corps of Engineers wants San Clemente to pay an additional $2.6 million to

    for a troubled sand replenishment project after rocks were hauled in, rather than the

    expected sand. (Photo by Laylan Connelly/SCNG)

    The city of San Clemente is being asked to contribute $2.6

    million toward the cost of resuming a project to add sand to

    the beach around the pier area that was halted after a

    dredger hired by the US Army Corps of Engineers pumped

    out more rocky material than expected.

    City and congressional leaders are asking the Army Corps to

    waive the additional cost, arguing the original borrow site off

    Oceanside was studied and selected by the federal agency

    and it hired the dredging company, Manson Construction, to

    do the work.

    “We have a contract and agreement with the Army Corps,

    but they are saying they are having to pay more, so they

    want us to cover the cost,” Mayor Victor Cabral said. “They

    haven’t delivered one cubic yard of sand to us to date. It’s a

    big concern for us.”

    Shortly after the replenishment project got underway in

    January, officials and residents became concerned when

    rocks and cobble, not fluffy sand, were being pumped on

    shore. City officials sent a letter to the Army Corps asking it

    to halt the project until a better sand source was found.

    The proposal is now to pull sand from offshore of Surfside

    Beach in north Orange County for delivery to the San

    Clemente beach.

    It will cost $7.7 million to complete the San Clemente project

    because of the additional distance to a new borrow site and

    there are still the costs incurred from the first part of the

    project, Army Corps of Engineers spokesperson Dena O’Dell

    said in an email.

    The agreement previously reached is for the federal

    government to pay 65% of the project’s costs and for 35%

    to come from non-federal sources, making San Clemente’s

    portion of the additional bill $2.6 million, city officials said.

    The project, which took more than two decades to get

    through the extensive approval, permitting and federal

    funding process, would now cost a total of $23.7 million.

    Much of San Clemente’s portion already paid – about $5

    million – came from a grant from the state’s Department of

    Boating and Waterways, said Cabral, who said the city

    wouldn’t be able to pay the $2.6 million.

    “We’re negotiating with them right now,” he said. “We’re

    trying to work out something amicably, and we hope we’ll be

    able to do so.”

    Army Corps Project Manager Doland Cheung said the city

    has been a partner throughout the process and has provided

    input for everything from feasibility to design, final

    construction plans and picking the borrow site.

    “They should be well aware, if they sign a partnership

    agreement, where each of the partners bears risk,” he said.

    “Our project does include risk involved. The borrow area

    condition was considered as part of the risk. From that

    perspective, if we incur difficulties and we have to pivot, and

    that activity provides a cost increase, each partner is

    responsible.”

    The Army Corps, too, has to figure out how to fund the

    federal portion of the cost increase and has asked U.S. Rep.

    Mike Levin (CA-49) for assistance. It is also looking at

    different financing options to try and decrease the burden on

    the city, Cheung said.

    And, there could be ways the city can provide “in-kind

    services,” such as future surveying, Cheung said.

    The cost increase came from time associated with Manson’s

    effort to dredge the original pit, as well as the added

    distance to the new site. Oceanside is 18 miles away, while

    Surfside is 30 miles – the main driver of the added costs, he

    said.

    And he noted the cost increase is just an estimate until a

    new proposal is received from the contractor.

    “This one is hard to estimate, because the location is so far,”

    he said.

    The project still needs to get a permit from the California

    State Lands Commission to resume, and the timing has to

    line up with the dredger finishing a project in Encinitas, but

    the hope is that it can move forward by the end of April,

    Cheung said.

    While the additional cost may seem like a lot of money for

    the city, much of the original funding for the city’s portion

    came from a state grant, so it has only had to pay about

    $650,000 in costs, Cheung noted.

    Even with the added expense, the city is only footing 15% of

    the costs, he said. “Either way you look at it, I think they are

    getting quite a good deal, in terms of the value they are

    getting for renourishment of the beach.”

    Levin and Senators Alex Padilla (D-CA) and Laphonza Butler

    (D-CA) sent a letter to Army Corps of Engineers leaders to

    express their concerns over potential financial burdens and

    extra costs to San Clemente, calling the substantial increase

    in the city’s fiscal obligation “objectionable.”

    “As you know, this project has encountered major obstacles

    involving the sourcing of appropriate beach-quality sand

    from the originally identified offshore borrow site,” they said.

    The city “should not be liable for the additional costs

    stemming from the unsuccessful attempts to utilize the

    original borrow site.”

    Manson Construction is based out of Seattle and touts

    bringing “innovative solutions and engineering expertise” for

    high-profile infrastructure and energy projects. Project

    manager Jim McNally did not respond to a call for comment.

    The sand replenishment project began in late December, but

    had some immediate delays when the dredger had

    mechanical issues and winter storms caused even more

    complications.

    When the dredger resumed work in January, officials and

    residents became quickly concerned when more rocks were

    deposited on the shore than the expected sand.

    After the city asked that the project be paused to see why

    more sand was not being produced from the borrow site, the

    dredger went on to San Diego for two previously scheduled

    replenishment projects serving Solana Beach and Encinitas.

    It was expected to come back to San Clemente by the end of

    April to finish bringing 251,000 cubic yards of sand to the

    beach from the new borrow site.

    But with the new price tag, the project’s status is unclear.

    Cabral noted in a letter to the Army Corps of Engineers that

    the project has obvious recreational benefits, but also

    protects critical infrastructure, including a coastal rail line

    and vital water and sewer facilities.

    He appreciated the Army Corps’ work to collaborate with

    multiple agencies and to get through red tape to get the goahead

    for the project, he said, but the additional cost

    “seems out of line given that, to date, no sand has been

    delivered to the beach.”

About us

We are a community membership-based non profit organization dedicated to promoting the protection, prosperity and well-being of North Beach and San Clemente as a whole while preserving its deep heritage in surf and sand culture.

Become a member

Join with other concerned residents and business owners who want to make a difference in the North Beach and San Clemente community.

Follow us

Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software